Date:      Sat, 8 Jan 2000 00:12:56 -0700 (MST)
From:      Andrew Munkres <amunkres@nyx.net>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD/Alpha on PC164LX from floppy disks

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 07, 2000 at 22:07:26 -0700, Andrew Munkres wrote:
> > I successfully booted FreeBSD/Alpha on my PC164LX from floppy disks with
> > the kern.flp and mfsroot.flp images on them. I had intended to install
> > FreeBSD from floppy disks, but when I chose this option on the
> > installation media screen, it told me that there was no floppy drive
> > device. Even though I don't have a FreeBSD CD, I chose the CDROM option
> > out of curiosity, and it said that there was no CDROM drive, even though I
> > do have a SCSI CDROM drive. It did this on both versions 3.4 and 3.3, on
> > both Novice and Custom installation modes. The disk partitioning program
> > recognizes the UWSCSI hard drive correctly. What could be causing the
> > problem? Thanks in advance.
>
> If I had to guess, it probably said you didn't have a CDROM drive because
> there was no CD in the drive.

Its exact words are "No CDROM devices found! Please check that your
system's is correct and that the CDROM drive is of a supported type. For
more information, consult the hardware guide in the Doc menu."

However, I don't really care about this since I don't have a FreeBSD
CD. Was the kernel in kern.flp compiled with "controller fdc0" so that it
can see the floppy drive, or was this left out for some reason?