Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 14:21:04 -0400
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   how to set fxp0 to half-duplex?   [was: nfs tuning]

>> Some of our users have noticed that "large" files are very slow
>> to access on our freebsd 3.2-R nfs server.  Small files access at
>> expected speeds, but files over a few MB can take minutes to read.
>> The clients are HP-UX 10.20.  Has anyone seen anything like this?
>> Any thoughts on which of the many options to tweak?
>
>Yes, check out HP's NFS mount options, make sure you are using
>TCP and try to set the read/write size to something higher than
>the default, 16k or maybe even 32k will help.
>
>You may want to experiment with NFSv3 as well.
>
>You also may want to increase the number of nfsd processes running
>on the FreeBSD nfs server.

Thanks.  I'd already read over a similar note you sent to the last
person who asked about tuning nfs.  The HP was already set to 16k
and there is no significant load on the FreeBSD nfs server (yet).

I finally scanned my bookshelf for help and found a dusty never-read
copy of O'Reilly's "Managing NFS and NIS", dated 1991.  Based on the
advise there under "Locating Bottlenecks" I discovered that the Intel
Pro/100B NIC in the FBSD machine just isn't handling full-duplex well.
The Cisco 2924 switch it's plugged into was logging CRC and frame
errors and the HP was logging rpc timeouts.

I changed the switch port to half-duplex and the frame and CRC errors
and rpc timeouts all stopped immediately.  Then I rebooted the FBSD
machine in order to get it to pick up the half-duplex setting from
the switch.  I'm not sure if this last step was necessary.  Does it
take a reboot?  Is there some way to switch duplex setting on the fly?
ifconfig mediaopts seems like the obvious place, but fxp(4) only lists
full-duplex as an option, no half-duplex.

-Mitch