Date:      Sat, 07 Jun 97 13:18:27
From:      "Bill Nutt" <B.Nutt@dial.pipex.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   suitability of 2.2.2-Release

Hi, folks,
	I'm currently running a 2.1.5 box (standalone, single user, only occasional dial up through modem).
I've been delaying upgrading because of the crop of recent 2940 problems.   I have a 2940AU in a SCSI only system, so the 2940 driver has to be rock solid (no IDE disks
to run from if I start getting SCSI problems!).
SCSI targets are:
	1 x Maxtor MXT540-SL 512Meg
	1 x Quantum Fireball 2.1 Gig (the BSD drive)
	1 x Plextor 8x SCSI CDROM
	1 x lumbering archive viper 150 tape drive

I notice people have been having tape problems too.   As you can see, the viper is my only method of backup right now, so I can't afford tape problems either...

Now to the meat of the question:
	Do I go for 2.2.2 when Walnut Creek start shipping on CDROM, or this Desktop Pro thing with XiG stuff?
	Is 2.2.5 coming out in a couple of months (might as well wait if it is)
	What sort of timescale (+/- 3 months) are we looking at for 3.0?   (I have a dual Pentium tomcat III here sat waiting patiently.... ;o)

Basically I'm trying to gauge what release will serve me better, and for the greatest length of time....
(I know I could get 2.1.7.1 but that seems like a dead end since I've got my eye on some of the things >= 2.2 can do ).

thanks,

--Bill Nutt