Date:      Fri, 13 Jun 2008 22:16:13 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        fbsd2 <fbsd2@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 80 Mb / enough for 7.x? OK to delete /stand/ and /modules/ ?

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008, fbsd2 wrote:

>   Given recent EOL announcements, I'm trying to upgrade an ancient machine
> from 5.5 to 7. It has 80 Mb total in the root partition, /home/, /var/,
> /usr/, and /tmp/ on other partitions, and NFS mounts /usr/src, /usr/obj, and
> /usr/ports from a slightly newer/faster box.  I've seen
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.0R/relnotes.html and
> http://marc.info/?l=freebsd-stable&m=121278826119286&w=2
>
> which seem to suggest that even with INSTALL_NODEBUG during buildkernel, 7
> might not fit in an 80 Mb /.  Must I partition a new disk to give more space
> to /, or can I find more space by deleting /stand/, /modules/, and possibly
> /rescue/ to shoehorn a custom 7.x kernel in the available space?  TIA

My Kerberos server runs 7-STABLE and has a 93M root with 25M free.  It's a bit
tight -- I have to remember to disable the installation of debugging symbols
for the kernel and modules, for example.  However, it does work fine, and
that's even with modules installed.  The bigger problem is my old /var now
that I have audit enabled.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge