Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 07:48:31 -0500
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
Cc:        Josh <jsteele@codefusion.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Creative dxr2 DVD Decoder Card

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 01:41:55PM +0100, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 06:49:12AM -0500, Josh wrote:
> > Hello,
> > 	I am inquiring about the dxr2 dvd decoder card made by creative.
> > I would like to have some information about it, and whether anyone has
> > tried to support it under FreeBSD.  I am active with the dxr2 decoder card
> > driver project for linux, and would like to possibly port the driver (and
> > player) to FreeBSD.  Has anyone tried this before?  The biggest problem I
> > find that I am going to run into is the non-opensource firmware file
> > distributed by creative that needs to be loaded into the card for it too
> > work.  Any information anyone can give me would be appreicated, as I
> > didn't know what list to send this request to.
>
> I didn't try to port anything, but I was keeping an eye on the Linux project
> because I have a DXR-3 myself. If you are in need of FreeBSD testers, I'll
> gladly volunteer. Writing kernel drivers is still a bit above my head though...
>
> Maybe you should also ask on freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org - that is a more
> appropriate list for kernel hacking questions, in as far as I understand.

-hackers isn't exactly a forum for user questions; it's a forum for
discussing existing patches or fine details of implementation.  Yes,
it's where the hard-core coders hang out; they hang out there because
it's for hard-core coders.  -hackers is happy to hear messages like
"Here's a patch to support the dxr2 dvd decoder, comments?"  :)

there's an effort to work on this sort of thing, the people are likely
to be hanging around over there.

In any event, good luck!

==ml

--