Date:      Thu, 24 Dec 2009 05:44:58 +0100
From:      Rolf G Nielsen <lazlar@lazlarlyricon.com>
To:        Noel Jones <noeldude@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Supressing dd output

Noel Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 10:19 PM, Rolf Nielsen
> <listreader@lazlarlyricon.com> wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I'm wondering if there's a way to supress the summary output from dd. I'm
>> working on a backup script, that encrypts the backups, and after encrypting
>> overwrites the unencrypted file several times using dd. I've tried to
>> redirect the output with 2>&1 > /dev/null but it doesn't work. Since I run
>> the script from the daily_local variable in periodic.conf, and the script
>> backs up 11 filsystems (ZFS) to separate files, the mail from periodic daily
>> gets ridiculously long, and most of it being dd summaries.
>>
>> I guess I could hack the source code of dd, but I'd prefer not to have to.
>> Has anyone got any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to all of you,
>>
>> Rolf Nielsen
>

> Order matters.
>
> dd ...   >/dev/null 2>&1
>

>   -- Noel Jones

Thanks Noel. I've never considered using that order before. Probably
because first time I saw that construct and had it explained to me, it
was ordered the way I had it, and I very rarely have any use for it, so
I haven't really noticed that my way was wrong; I usually only redirect
stdout if anything at all. Anyway, now it works like a charm. Thanks. :)

Rolf Nielsen