Date:      Mon, 12 May 2014 00:00:44 +0100
From:      John <freebsd-lists@potato.growveg.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Secure Boot" motherboards (to avoid)?

On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 07:33:52PM -0400, Antoine Kallab wrote:
> On May 10, 2014, at 4:50 PM, Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg@tristatelogic.com> wrote:
>
> >  do I need to be on the lookout
> > for the possibility that it may incorporate some form of non-easily-
> > disablable UEFI/SecureBoot firmware that will prevent me from booting
> > anything other than Windoze?
> Yes, for sure. Many BIOSes only let users disable SecureBoot. That’s fine,
> because that’s all that really matters. rEFInd works the last time I checked.
>
> But definitely try to disable UEFI. It makes unnecessary hassle.

The UEFI thing is why I had to go with PC-BSD rather than regular
FreeBSD. My motherboard is an Asus Z87-PRO and there seems to be no way
to disable UEFI in the bios, or conversely to enable 'legacy mode'. The
way that PC-BSD manages to boot is that it does so via GRUB. FreeBSD has
some other method, which, although everything appears to install, on
reboot it cannot boot. Doesn't even get to the booting screen. Mind you,
the last time I tried was a month or so ago, I'm not sure if anything
has changed since.

*Secureboot is not enabled.
--
John