Date:      Sun, 07 Sep 2003 02:52:54 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Sean McNeil <sean@mcneil.com>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gnome 2.4

--=-kvbsylNS+8VIw3XqCFOK

On Sat, 2003-09-06 at 20:20, Sean McNeil wrote:
> Gnomers,
>=20
> I've had the opportunity to go through and do the marcusmerge bringing
> my system up to Gnome 2.4 RC1.  While I see many improvements, there are
> some things that I had difficulty with.  I was interested in other
> feedback, but I am not on the mailing list.  I will look at the archives
> to see how the discussion goes.
>=20
> If there is a gnome discussion group this should be posted to, please
> feel free to repost this message or send me the more appropriate place
> and I will do so.

This is generally the list.  You can also join #freebsd-gnome on
FreeNode to discuss GNOME on FreeBSD.

>=20
> Things I am really going to miss:
>=20
> 1.  Being able to set up the window manager to raise a window when I
> click on it.  I had this behavior before, but the key shortcuts don't
> allow for mouse button events and there isn't a configure for Metacity
> anymore that I saw.

This is no longer possible.  You will only be able to raise windows by
clicking on their title bars.  I asked Havoc about this, and he said no
matter which route he chooses, he will always have people complaining.=20
I'm a big fan of the current Metacity behavior, but the new focus method
actually does help fix some weird browser bugs.

>=20
> 2.  I now have to double-click on the email panel applet to start up
> evolution :(  I liked only having to single click.

That can probably be fixed if you want to hack the code.  I personally
never used this feature.  I always launched Evo from a menu launcher.

>=20
> 3.  A long time ago I use to be able to have my panel not stay on top
> all the time.  I don't see this as an option anymore.

You can always set the panel for auto-hide.  One thing I really like
about GNOME 2.4 is now all panels are treated the same.  That is, the
top panel is now much more flexible.

>=20
> Things broken for me:
>=20
> 1.  When I drag-n-drop a directory into burn:// it doesn't show until I
> do a refresh.

While I haven't really looked at this much since I don't have a burner
on either of my GNOME 2.4 machines, I think it should work, but requires
gnomevfs2 to be built with FAM support.

>=20
> 2.  I had a tough time with gdm.  It isn't compatible with the previous
> version and I had to update the gdm.conf and copy a Default.sample file
> to Default (IIRC).

Yep.  This is expected.  There were a lot of gdm changes.  I always
recommend people use the default gdm.conf after every release, then port
their changes back.

>=20
> 3.  After logging in and out a few times I seem to have run out of
> pseudo terminals.  New gnome-terminal windows wouldn't show a bash
> prompt.  I also had several bash instances running even after logging
> out.  When I log in I get 2 windows with 4 bash commands running as tabs
> in each.  I wouldn't think this is excessive.

This may be a bash problem on FreeBSD.  I haven't seen this with tcsh.=20
Have you tried changing shells?

Joe