Date:      Tue, 04 Apr 2000 23:01:27 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: <<<<<need help>>>>>>

On Wed, 05 Apr 2000 02:21:52 +0530, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

> And the following is from the official announcement of 3.0:
>
>    This release is primarily aimed at developers and early-adopters,
>    though many ISPs have reported good results when using it in
>    production (not that we recommend this to any but the most highly
>    skilled). See the release notes for more information.
> (http://www.freebsd.org/releases/3.0R/announce.html)

You'll note, though, that this was text was not included in the release
notes for FreeBSD 4.0.  While the quote from Jordan certainly sounds
right, I'd make two observations:

1) As the release date was pushed further and further back, confidence
   in the release grew.

2) The people I look up to within the project are very complimentary
   regarding the performance and stability of 4.0.  Things that would
   deter folks from installation in the production environment are
   things like installation nits, a new IDE/ATAPI driver that doesn't
   support some really old crusty hardware and has been reported to not
   detect some modern hardware (NOTE: not a stability issue), a new
   sound driver that ... (doesn't matter what the problem is, since
   sound is mission critical for only a very small number of users).

Anyway, you've certainly proven that it's unreasonable to be jumping
down your throat about your comments. :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.