Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 1996 06:33:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      mark thompson <thompson@tgsoft.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   xfree86.vs.solaris

I am running Xfree86 on my 2.1.5 system. One ongoing problem is that i
cannot get windows to appear on my screen from remotely operating x
clients if and only if they are solaris-like binaries.

What i mean by this is that MIT-flavor x tools work just fine, when run
on the Sun and displaying on my PC. Things that have been linked with
openlook (or whatever they are calling it now) make the lights blink on
my modem for a long time, but nothing comes up. An example of this would
be netscape for solaris. The dialog box saying that the lock file exists
shows up, but the main window never does, despite mad light blinking.

My assumption is that there is a problem with the window manager
interface. I have seen the same failure running twm and mwm. Haven't
tried any others.

Any suggestions?

-mark