Date:      Mon, 8 Nov 2004 00:17:35 +0100
From:      "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Pav Lucistnik <pav@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Removing http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/ and replacing with FreshPorts

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh

On 2004.11.07 21:58:32 +0100, Pav Lucistnik wrote:
> V ne, 07. 11. 2004 v 20:10, Simon L. Nielsen p=ED?e:
>=20
> > On the FreeBSD website we have the ports pages at
> > http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/ which are inferior in most ways to
> > FreshPorts [1], so I would propose that we retire the FreeBSD ports
> > web pages and just direct people at FreshPorts instead.  Does anybody
> > have any strong objections to this?
> >=20
> > If this is going to be done I plan to put dummy redirect web pages on
> > http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/ to replace the current category pages
> > there so there shouldn't be problems with deads links there.
>=20
> Humm, I would object this proposal. We should not totally outsource such
> a critical part of the website to third party. Imagine that something

First I don't really consider Dan a third party (committers has
forgotten that he is actually not a committer on several occasions).

Second I don't really think /ports/ (the web site) is that that
critical.  If it was, more people would have complained that for a
very long time the ports web pages were very out-of-date.

> happen to Dan and the freshports domain changes to porn site or
> something... where we will be?

Well, it a valid point, but in that case we would update the
references to something else.  As a last resort we could always
resurrect the old /ports/ web site since it will of course stay around
in CVS.

To remove (potential/hypothetical) problem there could just be a
<something>.freebsd.org alias used for references, but I don't really
know if there is a real advantage in that.

--=20
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Documentation Team

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh