Date:      Mon, 7 Sep 1998 10:34:17 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        A M Bein <ambein@interchange.ubc.ca>, support@cdrom.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: for: command not found

On Saturday,  5 September 1998 at 22:15:29 -0700, A M Bein wrote:
> Dear tech supporters,
>
> 	I bought Walnut Creeks release of FreeBSD 2.2.7 last week and
> installed it. Installation went smoothly until (using THE COMPLETE FREEBSD
> by Greg Lehey) I attempted to get source archive (p.96, Chapter 7,
> "The Ports Collection") to install some software from the CDs. I stumbled
> into a problem.
>
> 	I followed the steps outlined in the book:
>
> 1. mount the cdrom...
> 2. cd /cdrom/ports/distfiles
> 3. mkdir -p /usr/ports/distfiles
> 4. for i in *; do [enter]
>
> In responce I get the messages:
>
> for: Command not found
> do: Command not found
>
> 	Where can I find and install these commands on my system?
>
> Thanks for reading this, if I don't solve this problem I won't be able to
> run any applications (make/make install don't work, and I don't have PPP
> connection yet).

Well, Ben Smithhurst gave you the correct answer, but you didn't read
the very first text in the book:

+                                Important notice
+
+    A list of errata and addenda is available for this book on the first  CD-
+    ROM   in   the  file  /book/errata.   The  most  up-to-date  list  is  on
+    ftp://ftp.lemis.com/pub/cfbsd/errata-2.  Please check these lists  before
+    reporting problems.
+
+    If  you  find  errors  in  this  book,  please  report them to Greg Lehey
+    <grog@lemis.com> for inclusion in the errata list.

In this particular case, you'd find:

+ Page 96
+ _______
+
+ Replace the example at the top of the page with:
+
+ Instead, do:
+
+ # cd /cd4/ports/distfiles
+ # mkdir -p /usr/ports/distfiles              make sure you have a distfiles directory
+ # for i in *; do
+ >   ln -s /cd4/ports/distfiles/$i /usr/ports/distfiles/$i
+ > done
+
+ If you're using csh or tcsh, enter:
+
+ # cd /cd4/ports/distfiles
+ # mkdir -p /usr/ports/distfiles              make sure you have a distfiles directory
+ # foreach i (*)
+ ?   ln -s /cd4/ports/distfiles/$i /usr/ports/distfiles/$i
+ ? end
+
+ Thanks  to  Christopher  Raven  <gurab@lineone.net> and Francois Jacques <fran-
+ cois.jacques@callisto.si.usherb.ca> for drawing this to my attention.

Note that I recommend to use bash, and not csh.  This isn't the
standard, but there are good reasons for it: you need to understand
Bourne Shell syntax, even if you use csh.  Why use two different
shells?

Greg