Date:      Fri, 12 May 1995 05:03:24 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com, kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Subject:   Re: dial in line

>With all the tty name changes in the past and FAQs dedicated to the
>graveyard, as someone put it, what is the right ttyname for a dial in line.

Whatever is in the current /etc/ttys and /dev/MAKEDEV.  Currently ttyd*.

>I upgraded my dial in machine to -current and ttyd0 doesn't open when a call
>arrives, that is the getty sits there and does nothing. Are the settings for
>modem in rc.serial correct (I mean this dtrwait and crtscts stuff)?

The correct setting is system dependent.  That's why everything in rc.serial
is commented out by default.  The setting of dtrwait is safe enough but
the setting of crtscts may cause problems if the modem doesn't assert CTS
except when there is carrier.

Bruce