Date:      Sat, 20 Mar 2021 13:01:58 +0100
From:      Mohammad Noureldin <mohammad@thelightbird.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OS to replace FreeBSD
References:  <20210319101040.00005c35@seibercom.net> <CA%2BD9QhsjLtVui6exPDyG2CO5H8X-=YckFjCehHusG7eH_kk2sg@mail.gmail.com> <6054BE1B.50706@gmail.com> <20210319130249.000042a1@seibercom.net> <5a8cf0be-646a-a433-2428-9700a47c1bf0@att.net> <20210319140448.00007521@seibercom.net> <c9ca4862-199a-5c6b-1282-18cc32d3486f@johnea.net> <20210319213214.4f8ddf55@archlinux> <CAGBxaXnwqXMBjp0i6Qd6SzbjCq13wFPOo1mjMUucNKw%2BPC1KFw@mail.gmail.com> <20210320063427.000040f5@seibercom.net>

Hi all,

I am new to this mailing list, using FreeBSD/*BSD on and off. Joined the
mailing list because I have a couple of project ideas that I want to build
on top of *BSD.

Though I am new, and maybe relative to many others here I am a newbie,
allow me to comment on all the aspects addressed (so far) in this email
thread:

- "It is easy to build a new (custom) kernel", "Unix is made by technical
people for technical people", etc:

Though historically it is true that Unix like systems are made by technical
people for technical people, it doesn't mean that it has to stay like this.
IMHO, such motto causes a great piece of Engineering like *BSD to loose
ground for other Unix like systems, namely Linux and all it's Distros. Not
that I am a Linux hatter, I have respect to both.

Related to that, I don't believe that it is a good message to FreeBSD
users, that if you don't know how to build a new kernel, then there is no
place for you here. IMHO, this really hurts the image of the community of
FreeBSD specially in the eyes of new commers. Notice these email messages
are archived.

- About the problem reported:

Thanks for all who went through the long list of comments on that PR and
explained in brief that it is a USB controller/HW problem.

In that respect, I do agree with Jerry and others wondering how other OS(s)
can manage running on the same HW (in case that has been proven) ? I
believe it worths looking at that. I would have volunteered to dig deeper
into that, but I know I don't have the required experience (unless someone
is willing to mentor me ? :) )

And responding to that:"OK, just shut up and go install another OS", is not
a community building attitude at all.

And for the sake of discussion, let's assume for a second that Jerry is
lazy or not skilled enough, helping him and fixing the problem or clearly
explaining a solution without bashing him, is not just for Jerry, it is for
the whole community, for the current and new members who will be interested
to join in the future.

Jerry, I am curious, did you have time to try one the suggestions,
specially running FreeBSD on a VM to see if it still suffers from the same
problem ?

You all have a great day/evening