Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 1995 20:21:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@eng.umd.edu>
To:        Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, julian@ref.tfs.com, asami@cs.berkeley.edu, ports@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

On Wed, 20 Sep 1995, Sean Kelly wrote:

>     Terry> It requires the implementation of run levels.
>
> And it's not clear what run levels are.  On the HP/UX system I'm using
> at the moment, there are run levels 0 through 6 and S.  S is the only
> one that really makes sense (S == single user), but why is 2 multiuser
> mode?  What do you get with levels 0 and 1?  What don't you get?  And
> sites can customize the higher run levels to mean what they want.

I don't think that going to such a system means that we have to slavishly
copy their every nuance.  We could easily set something like:

0: single user
1: multiuser
2: network
3: user-custom

And then leave the rest to individual hackers.  Could even have multiple
levels for user-custom.  This would make things easier to sequence,
wouldn't it?  It would allow for very simple addition of new daemons,
like ports stuff, wouldn't it?  Shutdown, which isn't even handled right
now, would finally get fair play.  This doesn't mean we go looking for
all the wrong things that have been done to this system, but a lot of
good is there.  Doesn't it seem at least the best available base to start
from?

>     Terry> I personally *don't* find it objectionable.
>
> All those oddly named scripts, links, codes are hard to grok.  More
> often than not, when ``such-n-such is hung,'' I have to
>
> 	find /etc/rc* -type f | xargs grep such-n-such
>
> just to find out the name of the script I'm supposed to use.  And it
> turns out all it did was run ``such-n-such -d'' which I saw with the
> output from `ps', so it would've been faster to just kill it and
> restart it---which I'm leary of since what if I forgot to remove a
> fifo, lock file, or other such debris before doing so?
>
> I so much prefer just looking through /etc/rc.local (and now,
> /etc/sysconfig) since it collects in one place the needed stuff.
>

> ``Scotty, go to run level 6!''
>
> ``Captain, the swapper won't handle all those daemons!''
>
> ``Which daemons?''
>
> ``I ... I don't know, captain!''
>
> --
> Sean Kelly
> NOAA Forecast Systems Lab, Boulder Colorado USA
>
> I spilled spot remover on my dog.  He's gone now. -- Steven Wright

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |