Date:      Tue, 19 Apr 2005 16:01:16 +0200
From:      Didier Wiroth <didier.wiroth@mcesr.etat.lu>
To:        'Grant' <orblists@thingysrealm.myftp.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: vmware alternative for freebsd?

Hey,
Thank you for your answer!
I will have a look a qemu. But I don't think it is as professional as I need
it.

Actually I'm working witn xp and windows vmware. I use it for testing
unattended installation CDs, service packs etc..., new windows netware
client testing, software testing etc... and use "a lot" the vmware snapshot
functionality.

I would like to switch my personal OS to freebsd but I can't as I really
need a descent vmware-like simulator.

Imprisoned in Windows ;-((

Thank you
Regards
Didier

------
Hey,

There is a few out there for fbsd.. but the only one I have used with
success is qemu.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/emulators/qemu/pkg-descr

Its quite quick, but I feel it isn't as quick as vmware is/was.

But it is something to look at, if its just simple things you need from it
it will be fine, but anything CPU heavy I find its not great on.

Another one that you might want to look at is bochs
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/emulators/bochs/pkg-descr

I cant really say much about this one, I've tried it before but never got
anywhere, so it might be good for what you need. Or it might be rubbish :)

Anyways gotta do some work :)
Bye.
Grant.