Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 1996 22:57:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        elaska <"elaska@mail.ctainforms"@vv.cta.com>
Cc:        www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X11/X Windows

On Fri, 20 Dec 1996, elaska wrote:

> I'm kind of new to the Unix enviornment, but I like what I've learned in
> the past year and a half.

Is X11 and X Windows the same thing?

Yes.  The official name is the X Window System, Version 11, Release 6.1.

> Are there free versions?

Yes; FreeBSD ships with one, XFree86.

>  I use X Windows at school on the SGI Indigo's under Irix, I believe 4.3
> or 5.3. I may be wrong on the version of the OS.  Anyway I like the
> enviornment as much as the command prompt, but I'm seeing more
> applications available for FreeBSD in the X Windows enviornment, so I'm
> looking to find a version of X Windows.  A free version is preferable,
> considering the price of tuition at college.  If you have any
> suggestions, etc. please mail them to either plaska@ctainforms.com or
> plaska@csci.csusb.edu.  Thank you very much.

Just run sysconfig, mount your partitions, and install the XFree86
distribution.  Make sure you install the X server that correpsonds to your
display card as well as the libs and config files.