Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 12:34:24 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@FreeBSD.org>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PORTVERSION=6.1 wrong in linux_base-62 ???

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 09:03:11AM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 11:26:03PM -0800, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 07:00:14AM +0100, Andreas Klemm wrote:
> > > We have 3 linux_base ports:
> > >
> > > linux_base	with PORTVERSION=6.1
> > > linux_base-6.2	with PORTVERSION=6.1
> > > linux_base	with PORTVERSION=7
> > >
> > > I think PORTVERSION has to be 6.2 in linux_base-6.2, or ?
> >
> > I think linux_base-6.2 should not have been created. There was
> > no reason for...
>
> Yes there is.  The "plain" port name should be the latest-and-greatest
> port.  Do you plan for the 6.2 version to last for a very long time,
> beside the 7.1 version?

I don't have any plans for the 6.2 port. I didn't even create the thing
and as I said before it should not have been created at all.

  If so, then both ports should have a version
> number (ie, like StarOffice, where there are strong reasons for the
> separation).

The linux_base-7 port has been created for that *exact* reason. There's
just too much incompatibility between Linux (Red Hat) versions that I
couldn't overwrite a perfectly good port with one that causes port-wide
breakage. Hence linux_base-7.

Another reason for the version is that applications are created for
a specific releases and making the release (in this case Red Hat)
explicit makes it in fact more easy for people to install the right
port.

> For linux_base, I don't see that need.  The 7.1 version
> should include any needed 6.2 "compat" libs(bits).

No. The linux_base-7 port should install a minimal set of Red Hat 7.x
packages. If Red Hat 7.x sucks, linux_base-7 will sucks. It's that
simple...