Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 1997 17:15:19 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Sean Eric Fagan <sef@Kithrup.COM>
Cc:        softweyr@xmission.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCO announced SysVr5

On Thu, Aug 21, 1997 at 10:44:42PM -0700, Sean Eric Fagan wrote:
>> By the way, Sean, didn't you used to work for the SCO Bozos?  I seem to
>> remember some nasty three-way arguments between you, me, and Terry
>> Lambert a number of years ago, when Usenet ruled the earth.  ;^)
>
> Yes, I used to work for SCO, and I would again, if they were doing OS
> development in Santa Cruz (which they're not, btw).
>
> I had problems with some parts of it, but, all in all, I liked the OS.
> Their 3.2 (aka 3.2.0 and 3.2.1, prior to 3.2v2) was not very good, but that
> was largely due to them needing (for market reasons) to get a SysVr3.2
> product out *NOW*.  3.2v2 was significantly better.
>
> I think the SCO OSes were much maligned.  I do admit, I really liked
> Xenix/386 -- it ran X in 4MBytes, for crying out loud!  Stable, fast, and
> small.  Wonderful system.  (And I did my first "device driver" for that --
> /dev/fd, character special nodes that essentially did a dup of the file
> descriptor corresponding to the minor number.)

In many ways, I liked XENIX too.  It was a well rounded system for its
day.  And it ran in 1.5 MB, for crying out loud!  Mind you, with that
kind of memory, that's what you'd probably do.  The German Federal
Railways run a network of the machines (now updated to UNIX, I
believe) for ticket sales.  The only problem was that they didn't keep
XENIX up to date, and it was sadly dated even in the early 90s.

Greg