Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 1999 15:06:59 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, yokota@FreeBSD.ORG, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Jeff <jeff@simplenet.com>
Subject:   Success!  [ Was: Re: ATI Mobility ]

I wrote:

>      There's more to the problem than this.  I just got a 7500, and
> I think that we may just have to wait for XFree86 to support the
> Mobility-P (or buy the commercial server, which I may do).

     I just got the 3.3.5 server "working" in 1400x1050 mode, and it
looks gorgeous.  It makes 1024x768 look like a child's crayon
scribblings.  The process is kludgy, and requires an ugly kernel patch,
but it appears to work (I've only done, oh, a whole 5 minutes of
testing, though ;-).  Switching VTYs works, and I think I've fixed the
server such that you can now suspend the Inspiron 7500 from X11 (before,
you had to switch to a console tty before doing a suspend, otherwise the
system would lock up and hang when you tried to suspend).

     Thanks to Jose for the missing puzzle piece.  I've been trying to
get X11 to work on the Inspiron for a couple of days, and was going down
the wrong path, when I saw his posting.

     I'll write a little documentation, and make patches/binaries
available in a day or two.  For those who can't wait, here's a rough
outline (for FreeBSD-3.3, but it probably works for -current also):

[ This is tested only on a Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop. ]

1. [Ugly Awful Kludge] Edit vesa_bios_init() in sys/i386/isa/vesa.c to
   *not* reject "unsupported modes".  Look for the comment "reject
   unsupported modes", and #if 0 the code that does the rejecting.
   Rebuild your kernel and reboot.

2. Write a small program that calls ioctl(...,SW_VESA_64K_1280,...) on
   /dev/ttyv8 (or whatever vty X11 uses on your laptop).  This program
   should be run as root.  I think you only have to run this program,
   once, at bootup.

3. Grab the XFree86 3.3.5 sources, and apply this patch:

	http://www.deja.com/=dnc/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=547370283

   Also, edit xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/accel/mach64/mach64init.c
   to not disable the panel's APM.  Comment out the line:

	regw(POWER_MANAMENT, old_POWER_MANAGEMENT & ~PWR_MGT_ON);

   and further down:

	outl(ioLCD_DATA, old_POWER_MANAGEMENT & ~PWR_MGT_ON);

   DO NOT COMMENT OUT ANY OTHER LINES, like the ones just before them.

4. (Assuming that you've already installed, but not configured XFree86
   3.3.5.)  Compile the X server, and install the newly-compiled
   XF86_Mach64 server (save a copy of the original one, though) in
   /usr/X11R6/bin.

5. Make a symlink:

	cd /usr/X11R6/bin
	ln -s XF86_Mach64 X

6. Grab the XF86Config at:

	http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/inspiron/XF86Config

   Install it in /etc and edit the "Screen" section at the bottom of the
   file to select the "Modes" that you want (e.g., 1024x768 or
   1400x1050).

7. As root, run the program from step #2.

8. Run "xstart" to start X11 (as the user from which you normally run
   X11, not as root).  From here, everything should work, until you exit.
   When you exit, the console won't switch back to the original VTY --
   you'll have to manually use Alt-F1 (or somesuch) to switch to a
   usable VTY.

   [ Note: if X11 starts up, but you have no window manager running, it
     probably means that the directory, "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit", is
     not readable.  To fix it, change the permission from 700 to 755.  ]

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@sr.hp.com