Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2002 21:01:39 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
To:        George Uhl <uhl@rattler-e.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bktr driver woes in 4.5-RELEASE

George Uhl:
 |>I have an aged Hauppauge WinTV card that was working fine
 |>on a 3.4-STABLE host.  I installed 4.5-RELEASE on this host
 |>and now the system hangs when I run a video application such
 |>as fxtv or vic.
 |>Excerpts from my kernel config file:
 |>
 |># PCI video cards
 |>device smbus
 |>device iicbus
 |>device iicbb
 |>device bktr
 |>device          ic
 |>device          iic
 |>device          iicsmb          # smb over i2c bridge
 |>options       BROOKTREE_SYSTEM_DEFAULT=BROOKTREE_NTSC

Here's what I have, albeit on an old 4.3-STABLE.

device               bktr
device               smbus
device               iicbus
device               iicbb

 |>dmesg output:
 |>pci0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> at 7.2 irq 10
 |>pcm0: <Creative EMU10K1> port 0xd400-0xd41f irq 10 at device 9.0 on pci0
 |>bktr0: <BrookTree 848A> mem 0xea102000-0xea102fff irq 10 at device 17.0 on
 |>pci0
 |>uhci0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> port 0xd000-0xd01f irq 10
 |>at device 7.2 on pci0

You have a lot of hardware sitting on IRQ 10!  I'd try BIOS settings or
swappig PCI boards around to try and change that.  Here I only have my USB
controller and my bktr sitting on the same IRQ.  And that it's sitting on
the same IRQ with a Sound Blaster Live...  From things I recall reading
about the SBLive pushing the specs, might try yanking that card as a test.

 |>bishop-fe# fxtv -debug startup
 |>Shm Extension not available...X Server isn't local.
 |>XF86DGA not available...X Server isn't local.

Hmmm.  What's up here?  Are you trying to run fxtv over a network?  If not,
make sure your $DISPLAY is set to :0.0.

Randall

--
Randall Hopper