Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 1997 20:23:23 -0700
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
To:        Chris Coleman <chris@bb.cc.wa.us>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mcAffee Anti Virus

Chris Coleman wrote:

> I was checking out the Anti-virus programs for FreeBSD by McAffee
> and ran it on my system.  It showed that I had SEVERAL files infected with
> a SYSLOCK virus.  Any one know about this stuff?

I don't know, but I went into McAfee's Mall and I didn't see any
specific FreeBSD version. If you're using a version for Linux, it
probably confused signatures. A Linux version will only clean Linux
software.
> Is it worth buying, and is SYSLOCK a real threat?

I have never heard of FreeBSD viruses, except for the reported trojans
in freefall on a security notification. (BTW, no details on that ever
came out). But a multitasking computer, in a networked
environment...it's matter of time.
Simply be careful on what you run as root, and use more software that
comes with source code :).

Pedro.