Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 19:35:12 +0200
From:      Jeroen Vreeken <pe1rxq@amsat.org>
To:        dreamwvr@dreamwvr.com
Cc:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, linux-usb@suse.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, misc@openbsd.org, netbsd-users@netbsd.org
Subject:   Re: [linux-usb] Anti-NDA petition

dreamwvr wrote:

> hi,
>   first as i have already mentioned IMHO extortive means are about as
> productive overall it sounds like as those that were used by m$ that
> caused the DOJ case.  do you really think dragging co kicking and
> screaming is productive to open source. extortion only leads to
> resentment and count me out. co should choose what they release
> at their terms.. did anyone force anyone to release code GPL. i think
> not! bully tactics are used b.t.w. in the m$ camp as well but lets move
> above that huh?
>                                 Best Regards,
>                         dreamwvr@dreamwvr.com
> ps-if there is enough
> demand for a product and
> any co can see a
> business case they will
> release it. you need to
> communicate to them on
> that level not the level
> of a bully IMHO.

First of all: I am not extorsing anyone. The people making the decision
here approved this action (although I do think they did not know it
would get such a big respons).
Secondly: The action is not to gpl (or any os license) the philips
drivers, it would be nice but is not my intention. I am doing this to
get the specs for communicating with the camera free.

As for your ps, with this petition I try to prove that there is a
business case, they just don't see it yet. You have to take in
concideration that the whole open source concept is allien to them. I am
just trying to get them on the right track, better late then never.

Jeroen