Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 23:45:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex Zepeda <jazepeda@pacbell.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ELF rtld and environment variables...

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, John Polstra wrote:

> Glad you liked the idea! :-)

Well imagine if Joe user gets a Linux binary or a.out binary to run.
Bam, it doesn't run, and one'd have to check each file, and unset the
variables.  Or forgo any user-feedback.  :(

> Well, there is a different reason for each of the dynamic linkers.
>
>     FreeBSD ELF:  It's required by the ELF specification.
>
>     FreeBSD a.out: Backward compatibility.
>
>     Linux ELF: Because it's part of Linux and that's just what it does.

I can understand the logic for using said variables for FreeBSD ELF stuff,
but for the rest of them, I figure we're not actually the native
environment.  Hmm.

Anywho the topic of caching shlib symbols came up in discussion as a
possible way speed up loading of programs.  Makes me wonder if it would be
worth it..

- alex