Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 2003 06:40:47 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>, Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: XFree86 4.3.0 update (probably solved)

--Dxnq1zWXvFF0Q93v

If memory serves me right, Louis A. Mamakos wrote:

> > I ended up blowing away all of the XFree86 ports from the system and
> > reinstalling everything from the meta-port.  The warnings from xkbcomp
> > went away, so I have this warm fuzzy feeling that when I get to my
> > workstation, everything will be fine.  (In the meantime, my T21
> > upgraded successfully with portupgrade.)
>=20
> This is very disappointing.  I shouldn't have to nuke the ports all back =
> bare metal to make this work, sigh.

Don't be too alarmed.

This was the approach I took because I didn't want to take the time to
really investigate the problem.  You might have missed the part where
I mentioned that upgrading my T21 with portupgrade worked fine.  I've
done one other system (a desktop with an I815) with portupgrade as
well without problems.

I'd accept the idea that user error got me into the situation I was
in, thought I don't know (and at this point don't care) what exactly
it was.  Maybe I upgraded ports in the wrong order.

Personally, I'm happy and grateful that anholt@ was able to update the
XFree86 ports in time for us to include them in 4.8.

Cheers,

Bruce.

--Dxnq1zWXvFF0Q93v

--Dxnq1zWXvFF0Q93v--