Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 2010 23:13:43 -0400
From:      Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Randal L. Schwartz" <merlyn@stonehenge.com>
Subject:   Re: Like it or not, Theo has a point... freebsd is shipping export-restricted software in the core

On Wednesday 06 October 2010 03:40 pm, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.openbsd.misc/178267
>
> And yes, there it is, in
> /usr/src/sys/contrib/dev/acpica/hardware/hwsleep.c:
>
>  * 4.3. Licensee shall not export, either directly or indirectly,
> any of this * software or system incorporating such software
> without first obtaining any * required license or other approval
> from the U. S. Department of Commerce or * any other agency or
> department of the United States Government.  In the * event
> Licensee exports any such software from the United States or *
> re-exports any such software from a foreign destination, Licensee
> shall * ensure that the distribution and export/re-export of the
> software is in * compliance with all laws, regulations, orders, or
> other restrictions of the * U.S. Export Administration Regulations.
> Licensee agrees that neither it nor * any of its subsidiaries will
> export/re-export any technical data, process, * software, or
> service, directly or indirectly, to any country for which the *
> United States government or any agency thereof requires an export
> license, * other governmental approval, or letter of assurance,
> without first obtaining * such license, approval or letter.
>
> So, is such approval on file with the FreeBSD Foundation?

Please stop the FUD.  ACPICA is actually triple-licensed, i.e.,
generic Intel software license, (three-clause) BSD-like license, and
GPLv2.  For example, please see the same file on Linux:

http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/drivers/acpi/acpica/hwsleep.c?v=linux-2.6

When a new ACPICA release is merged to Linux tree, it is pre-processed
with acpisrc (which is also included in ACPICA release tarball) and
all C source files are converted to Linux style.  Actually this tool
replaces the generic Intel license with the actual BSD/GPLv2 dual
license header at the same time:

http://git.moblin.org/cgit.cgi/acpica/tree/source/tools/acpisrc

The following file contains source conversion table for Linux:

http://git.moblin.org/cgit.cgi/acpica/tree/source/tools/acpisrc/astable.c#n158

Historically FreeBSD never touched the license header.  However, I am
going to do it next time to avoid confusions.

Jung-uk Kim