Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 1995 17:23:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@ref.tfs.com>
To:        jkh@FreeBSD.org (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 2-way CTM?

> You know, it would be very very cool if Joe Developer sitting out on the
> end of a SLIP line could make contributions via a sort of "reverse CTM".
Yes.

> to a submissions list.  You should be able to do something like:
> 	cd /usr/src/usr.bin/tip
	ctm_save tip.c foo.h bar.c
> 	<hack hack>

The feature to enable this is planned, and somebody needs to do it.
The ctm_save step is needed to grap a copy before hacking commences.

> Also, back to CTM updates for a moment.  I think these need to be
> PGP'd, sequence numbered or simply obfuscated somehow before we go "live"
> with CTM.  It's just too easy to hose someone's tree and trojan-horse the
> heck out of them by spoofing CTM the way it is now, and we have enough
> security hole problems on the Internet without us making more of them.
> Anyone want to work on this, too?

I looked at the PGP issue, it's not quite trivial, but it can be done.

> I think it's very safe to say that Poul-Henning is kind of out of the picture
> on all of this due to impending Paternity, so if this stuff is going to get
> done it's going to be because somebody _fresher_ steps into the breach! :-)
>
> Volunteers?  No shoving.. :-)

The rumours of my disconnection are quite exaggerated at this time...

OK, to be specific, can I have somebody volounteer for these tasks:

1:	Implement /etc/ctmcap in the ctm_rmail and ctm programs.

2:	Make the <filename>#ctm feature.

3:	Look into PGP signatures from cronjobs

--
Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@login.dknet.dk> -- TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
'All relevant people are pertinent' && 'All rude people are impertinent'