Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 1997 17:51:08 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pentium lockup fix in FreeBSD

> There was no mention of 'newsgroups' in Sean postings, so how were we to
> know that is where this discussion between Sean and you took place.  The
> first I heard about it was your last email to me.

I hardly see how that's relevant since you just refused to read it
there in any case, so what good would it have done for Sean to mention
it anyway?  You'd have simply refused to read it earlier is all. :)

> And, if you're going to make policy decisions that affect alot of users,
> discussion on Usenet are *NOT* the place to make them.

I'm not making policy decisions.  I was suggesting to Timo, before
Sean dragged this into -hackers, that we should proceed carefully and
not just blindly adopt the first hack to drop into our hands.  I never
said that we weren't going to fix the problem at all and I never said
that it was something that FreeBSD didn't care about, I simply said
that BSDI's withdrawal of their fix was suspicious and that David had
reviewed the Linux fix and deemed it a disgusting hack.  I then went
on to say that there seemed to be a lot of scare-mongering about this
particular bug considering that it was hardly the only possible DoS
attack on a shell account machine.  I don't see how you or Sean can
equate this with "Jordan says that FreeBSD could give a shit."

What Jordan is saying is that FreeBSD could stand to wait a couple of
more days to see Intel's work-around and it wouldn't result in the
collapse of western society as we know it.  Clearly there are some
here, however, who feel that it's the worst bug they've ever seen and
that FreeBSD as a project will end in disaster and disgrace if we
don't rush to fix it in the next 24 hours, and to that all I can say
is "sheesh!"

					Jordan