Date:      Tue, 21 May 1996 17:59 EDT
From:      Barney Wolff <barney@databus.com>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Triton chipset with 256k cache caches 32M only?

The figure of "once in 10 years" was given without any indication of
what it applies to.  0.1/year/bit? per MB? per SIMM? per 64MB?

I am familiar with a network of 100 64MB machines, and it sees at least
a few corrected ECC errors a week, so I suspect the raw error rate
is much more like 1 a year, if not higher, not 1 a decade.

For almost any purpose, a crash a year is acceptable, if recovery is
reasonable.  Data corruption is not acceptable.  My net of all this
is that I'll run with parity if it's faster than ECC, but not run
with nothing at all.

Barney Wolff  <barney@databus.com>