Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2000 19:32:52 +0200
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ad0: device not configured while booted from IDE drive?

Hi all,

While trying to move my FreeBSD installation to a larger IDE drive
I ran into some problems that I hope any of you can help me with,
because I don't see what I'm doing wrong here.

Here's what I did: I wanted to move my complete FreeBSD installation
from a 9Gig drive to a new 13Gig drive. The plan was to put the new
drive standalone in a new machine (with the same hardware).

I put the 13G in the 'old' machine, and followed the instructions
to add a 'dangerously dedicated disk' using sysinstall, taken from
http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/formatting-media/x62.html.

I used the following setup:
ad1s1a		/	50M
ad1s1b		swap	256M
ad1s1e		/var	150M
ad1s1f		/usr	+-12G (don't know exactly, the rest of the drive)

This is basically the same setup as on my old disk, except that /usr
is smaller there.

I 'W'rote with sysinstall, then exited and newfs'd ad1s1a, ad1s1e and
ad1s1f manually (with the largest -c value to preserve space).

After the newfs I copied the whole system using

(cd /var && tar -cvl --preserve -f - .) | tar -x --preserve -f -

[repeat for other partitions]

OK, all went fine, so I removed the old drive, made the new drive the IDE
master, and rebooted the machine.

All went fine (the new drive was detected as ad0) until the kernel tried to
mount the root filesystem. Then I got something along the lines of

Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
Error code 6
Mounting root from ufs:wd0s4
Error code 6
Mounting root from ufs:wd0a
swapon: /dev/ad0s1b: device not configured

and then stuff about the file system checks failing, at the end giving
me the /bin/sh prompt.

I don't understand why ad0s1a can't be mounted - I use exactly the same
setup as my old disk (that one was dedicated also)! Every attempt
to access /dev/ad0* under that root shell results in:

ad0: device not configured
ad0s1: device not configured

although dmesg clearly says that ad0 is detected as a 13G drive...
(and yes, /dev/ad0* exist) Does anyone know what's going on?

Unfortunately I'm writing this from memory because that is my box at work
and I'm at home now, so any errors in the 'output' are because of my
memory. I also don't have any more details until tomorrow morning, but
I hope someone has (a pointer to) some more info so I can avoid a
complete reinstall of 4-STABLE, XFree-4, gnome-1.2 etc...

Any info appreciated!

--Stijn