Date:      Sat, 06 Mar 1999 14:14:34 +0100
From:      Alex Le Heux <alexlh@funk.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   netscape trouebles

Hi,

For quite some time now Netscape 4.5 has been very unstable on my
-current system. I've cvsup'ed and made world many times in the hope the
problem would go away.

Today I decided to ktrace it, and see where it would stop.

Of course it now refuses to crash. Even on java stuff that would crash
it _every_ time without the ktrace.

Now I can start my netscape with "ktrace -f /dev/null netscape", and
it'll probably be happy, although this is less than a satisfactory
solution.

I figure that the fact that it runs fine with the ktrace might mean
something significant, although I wouldn't know what. So if anyone has
an idea, I'd be delighted to hear about it.

The system is a Celeron-366, not overclocked, running -current,
XF3.3.3.1 and WindowMaker 0.51.0 and I have plenty of ram (160mb).

Netscape is the only application giving me trouble.

I've tried the FreeBSD version and the Linux version of Netscape, and
they both behave the same. It appears that the Linux version is a bit
less stable than the FreeBSD version.

Am I the only one with this problem?

Alex