Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 2009 10:58:28 -0800
From:      Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.ports@mailing.thruhere.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>, RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
Subject:   Re: [x11/nvidia-driver] conflicts with linux dri ports

On Sunday 07 June 2009 16:00:37 RW wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 00:06:56 +0400
>
> Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru> wrote:

> > > Why it's not good?
> > > I'm not sure I've understood, but I think it's more or less the
> > > same with the native counterpart: if you install x11/nvidia-driver,
> > > libGL.so from graphics/libGL get replaced (actually renamed).
> >
> > Because if port B replaces a file from port A, then when port A is
> > deinstalled, the file from the ports B is removed.
>
> It's not ideal, but making nvidia-driver conflict with its own
> dependencies is a lot worse.

nvidia-driver's dependency on libGL is artificial (cause it needs to replace
libGL, not cause it needs to link with it). One can actually build and install
the driver without having libGL from ports installed.
As such I've tried decoupling this a year or so ago, but aside from some
problems in the nvidia-provided Makefiles that I could patch, the major
drawback of it was that every port requiring libGL would now have to be taught
about nvidia-driver (Yes, bsd.gl.mk but there were a few exceptions).
I ran into one major hurdle, but can't for the life of me remember anymore
what it was, so decided to back off and live with the current hacks.

I could try again and at least see what the problem is, in a week or two at
the earliest. What I was aiming for is:
- if defined(WITH_NVIDIA_GL) libdep on nvidia-driver else libGL
- no more XXX-files and post-install hacks
- no more "need xorg-server installed before we can even read our Makefile"

Vague memories surfacing: problem had to do with either compat5x or linux.
--
Mel