Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 1998 12:27:21 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        manik@post1.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Newbie : Best database for a web app'n?

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998 at 22:41 SAT, Manik Surtani wrote:

> Can anyone recommend the best database to use (both commercial and
> freeware) for a rather intensive e-commerce based web app?

Three choices (the "free three"):

MiniSQL:	http://www.hughes.com.au/
MySQL:		http://www.tcx.se/
PostgreSQL:	http://www.postgresql.org/

All three are to be found in the ports.

Not one of them implements ANSI SQL completely.

Postgres is probably the most ambitious effort of the three, though it
currently still lacks the maturity of the others (IMHO) as a product.

Note that MiniSQL and MySQL are both burdened with licensing complications,
should you wish to base a commercial product on them.

Also, for the easiest way by far to integrate any of the above three into a
Web-based front-end, see:  http://www.php.net/

> Another issue is availability of ODBC drivers and APIs, as my web
> programs will have to interface with this database.

I do believe that that's available for all three, but you'll have to check
for yourself.

-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878