Date:      Fri, 7 Aug 2009 02:56:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Lars Eighner <portsuser@larseighner.com>
To:        Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.ports@mailing.thruhere.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports completely and permanently hosed

On Thu, 6 Aug 2009, Mel Flynn wrote:

> On Thursday 06 August 2009 19:29:24 Lars Eighner wrote:
>>>
>>> If you actually know how responsive in particular hps@ is at people
>>> posting USB problems, you may want to vent your frustration at the wall
>>> and instead file a PR
>>
>> Done, months ago with all the core dump stuff.  Still open.  Umass still
>> crashes the system if I plug the camera or the mp3 player in.  (I don't
>> mean just doesn't work in some vague way; I mean really crashes the
>> system.)
>
> PR number? And I'm gonna guess the camera is a Kodak.

133390

Olympus D-540

It worked on about 6.2.  But so did the card reader on my printer
so for a long time I was just using the card reader on the printer so i did
not have to load umass (which grabs the printer if it is loaded on boot).

By and by hplip began to fail on functions other than print until it was
failing on print too --- but there are so many fingerprints on hplip and so
many layers of stuff its really hard to fix the blame for the printer.

So I try the camera and blewy!  I had a tiny-itsy-wee bit of disk space
devoted to FreeDOS, but the stuff I had that would work on FreeDOS works in
a DOS box, so I managed to squeeze a very minimal install of 6.4 in there
and sure enough, the camera woeks fine with it.  Unfortunately there is
nothing I can do with them because I had to gut the installation on accout
of the we tiny disk space.  So it is boot to 6.4, unload the disk, boot to
7.x, mount the 6.4 /, unload the pictures.  Needless to say, this is just
something I did once to prove it was not the hardware or the BIOS.

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html