Date:      Tue, 05 Dec 2000 13:03:10 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        "Douglas A. Maske" <maske@maske.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, charlie@infoworks.net, lebel@lebel.org, jonas.bulow@servicefactory.se
Subject:   Re: IBM Thinkpad T20 ISSUE!!!!

For those who do not subscribe to mobile, it is clearly the partition
type that controls the problem. Newer version of BIOS on ThinkPads
simply lock up when they see the A5 partition. Older versions still
work.

Once you ThinkPad is locked up, it is dead until the disk is removed
and the partition is either deleted or re-labeled as something other
then A5.

Bruce Mah of Cisco has hacked the boot0 and other parts of the boot
system so that he can now boot FreeBSD on a recent T20 from a partition
with a type of A6 (OpenBSD), so there is no question that partition
type is the main factor. It looks like BIOS V1.03 works OK with
FreeBSD while V1.08 fails. For other versions???

While I love my 600E, I will not consider another unless IBM resolves
this issue. (I'm sure FreeBSD will have a work-around much sooner.) If
you have contacts at IBM, feel free to let them know just what you
think of this foolishness!

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)