Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 95 09:56:24 EDT
From:      jleppek@suw2k.ess.harris.com (James Leppek)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Crypt code summary(2).

while the work in rfc1421..24 dealing with internet mail is important the
arena of "general" application level internet security is quite active.
As a researcher in this area there are a variety of SAMPs (security
association management protocols) and KMPs (key management protocols)
that are being hottly debated at every conference and standards meeting.
I am hoping to use freebsd to pitch my own abstract security services(SNAPI)
interface at the next technology transfer conference in august if my
NEC notebooks arrive in time.
The point is that there is no clear solution, or even path, at this
time. The IEEE802.10 folks have been struggling to come to some consensus
for years. Motorola is actively pushing there SAMP, while commercial
organization like netscape and NCSA utilize niche solutions like
SSL(Secured Socket Layer) and SHTTP. Even this activity was a battle
and I believe the terisa activity was an attempt to get just these
2 protocols together. Remember as well that IPNG is around the corner
with additional intrinisc security capabilities (if anyone figures out
what to do with them :-) )

While I have been a fbsd advocate since 1993, I have not been an "active"
contributor so maybe I shouldn't have a say but I feel obligated to offer
an  opinion which is, don't try to commit security services to the src tree
yet. The ports or experimental areas are a much better home and would make it much
easier to avoid stepping on those nasty US munitions laws :-)
The dust will settle soon to a "few" possibilities and then a path
should be chosen.

Jim Leppek