Date:      24 Jul 2003 02:24:47 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [WORKING] Dell Inspiron 5150 and PCMCIA lock ups

--=-56L3B9HSo1JYZISVeD9h

On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 02:15, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Thursday, 24 July 2003 at  1:46:44 -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > I just got a new Dell Inspiron 5150 thinking it would be a nice
> > replacement for my 8100.  So far, I'm not impressed.  The BroadCom
> > BCM440x ethernet controller isn't supported, and everytime I insert a
> > PCMCIA card, the machine locks.
>=20
> Heh.  Ditto, s/5150/5100/

Follow-up!  James R. Higgins <sysop@bat21.net> suggested doing:

hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range=3D1
hw.cbb.start_memory=3D0x30000000

This fixed the hang, but I still wasn't able to use my PCMCIA cards.=20
Removing the memory range sysctl got everything working beautifully.=20
I'm on my wireless LAN as we speak.

Now, if only someone would crank out a BCM440x driver... ;-).

Thanks again to James.

Joe

>=20
> > I'm running 5.1-RELEASE, but I want to move to -CURRENT if I can get
> > a network connection.  Basically, if the machine is up and running,
> > and I insert the card, it locks (no console messages, nothing).  The
> > only solution is to hold the power button down until the machine
> > shuts down.  If I have the card inserted at boot time, the machine
> > gets to:
> >
> > Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad2s3a
> >
> > Then locks up the same way.
> >
> > ...  I have tried NEWCARD and OLDCARD.  I am
> >
> > I'm really hoping there's some hope here.  So far, the only good news i=
> > that sound works.  Thanks for any advice you may offer.
>=20
> You're a little ahead of me here.  I'm still backing up the disk
> contents.  Knoppix (Linux) doesn't recognize the Broadcomm card, but
> it does initialize the PCMCIA card OK.
>=20
> Duncan Barclay has a beta driver for the Broadcomm card.  See
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-mobile/2003-July/001109.html
> for more details.  Also, I've been given a pointer to a Linux page,
> http://cabibbo.physics.wm.edu/~bryan/computer/inspiron5100.html, which
> I haven't read yet.
>=20
> I think the way I'm going to go is:
>=20
> 1.  Install 5.0-RELEASE (because that's what I have on CD-ROM).
> 2.  Move the -CURRENT sources, including Broadcomm driver, to the box
>     (probably via CD-R).
> 3.  Take it from there.
>=20
> If anybody has some other suggestions, I'd be pleased to hear them.
>=20
> Greg
> --
> See complete headers for address and phone numbers
--=20

--=-56L3B9HSo1JYZISVeD9h

--=-56L3B9HSo1JYZISVeD9h--