Date:      Tue, 27 Dec 2005 10:46:23 -0800
From:      Rob <europa100@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Firefox 1.5 complains that it is already running

Hi,

I compiled Firefox 1.5 from ports but when attempting to start it I get
the error message:

"Firefox is already running, but is not responding.  To open a new
window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart
your system."

I could not find any Firefox or Mozilla type of process running.
I am starting it from a terminal and I get no error messages there.
Ending Xorg and then starting it again does not help.

Finally Firefox was compiled with -o -pipe -mtune=pentium4, so I doubt
if there would be any problem with the build.

Thank you.

Rob Lytle

ps.  Mozilla runs OK, but I had to turn off java and javascript, and
also block pop-up windows in order to stop the occasional 100% cpu
usage and zombie processes.

--

http://home.comcast.net/~europa100