Date:      Tue, 17 Dec 2002 08:32:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Noah Garrett Wallach <sleek@enabled.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Drive Failure

Hi,

my current system drive is having difficulties some files that were
in great shape are now EBADF.  This drive is known as ad0 (yup IDE)

So I installed a new drive and have moved all files over to it.  The
new drive is known as ad2.

Is my fdisk usage here proper?  Is this the proper response from
fdisk?  What else should I be doing?  What might I be doing wrong?

root@typhoon# fdisk -B -b ./boot0 ad2
[/mnt/ad2-root/boot]
******* Working on device /dev/ad2 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=148945 heads=16 sectors/track=63 (1008 blks/cyl)

Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=148945 heads=16 sectors/track=63 (1008 blks/cyl)

Media sector size is 512
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is:
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 63, size 150136497 (73308 Meg), flag 80 (active)
        beg: cyl 0/ head 1/ sector 1;
        end: cyl 464/ head 15/ sector 63
The data for partition 2 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 3 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 4 is:
<UNUSED>
Do you want to change the boot code? [n]

---
TCB'n,

#Noah
San Francisco, California --- USA

There is a light, that shines beyond all things on earth, beyond us all, beyond the highest heavens.  This is the light that shines in our hearts.
	- The Buddha