Date:      Thu, 26 Nov 2009 07:24:29 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Fbsd1 <fbsd1@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 8.0 release serial mouse not working

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 14:06:56 +0800, Fbsd1 <fbsd1@a1poweruser.com> wrote:
> I checked /dev and there are no cuaa* or cuad*

Confirmed, 8.0-RC1 with GENERIC kernel (my toyaround machine).

> In 7.2 used the sysinstall/configur/mouse menu and it was the one that
> crated the moused_port="/dev/cuad0" rc.conf statment as showen in first
> post.

That should have been the correct setting. On version 7, I
have /dev/cuad0, /dev/cuad0.init and /dev/cuad0.lock. On
version 8, there's /dev/cuau0, /dev/cuau0.init and
/dev/cuau0.lock instead.

Maybe loading a kernel module is required to have the
serial ports available again?

> /dev does have cuau0 & cuau1 for uucp dialer. could this be the names of
> the serial ports in 8.0?

It seems that they don't work for the mouse because they're
something different.

I think there's another problem rising: Assume you want to
have a serial dialin line (e. g. for a serial terminal), then
you would have something like

	ttyd0 "/usr/libexec/getty std.115200" vt320 on secure

in /etc/ttys. The question would be: If /dev/ttyd0 does not
exist anymore, how to make this work again?

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany