Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 10:53:55 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, asami@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Extending BSD.[local,x11].dist to include GNU gettext locale dirs

Hi,

On a similar vein, I've asked this before and got no feedback - I'd like
to suggest that 'www' and 'www/cgi-bin.default' and 'www/data.default'
be added to the BSD.local mtree.

This will allow a whole bunch of PHP-related and CGI products to be made
into packages, installing into the '.default' directories.  I realize
there's a huge insane thing going on with the incompatible apache ports,
but this seems the most sane way to go ahead with this - we don't want
ports installing stuff into someone's web and CGI trees without
permission, but if they don't set up something else, it will be
immediately available, if we set up apache properly.

This is currently preventing me from making Zope almost entirely
automatically working from install, and in the past has prevented me
from making ports of other products that use CGI or PHP.

apache or whatever web server can just symlink www/data to
www/data.default and www/cgi-bin to www/cgi-bin.default by default, if
they aren't there already.  This also makes reinstalling much more sane.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
Sunesi Clinical Systems