Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 2017 15:32:33 -0700
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] Why FreeBSD ports should have branches by OS version
References:  <CAO%2BPfDeFz1JeSwU3f21Waz3nT2LTSDAvD%2B8MSPRCzgM_0pKGnA@mail.gmail.com> <20170622121856.haikphjpvr6ofxn3@ivaldir.net> <dahnkctsm1elbaqlarl8b9euouaplqk2tv@4ax.com> <20170622141644.yadxdubynuhzygcy@ivaldir.net> <cc1c38a4-108c-5f3f-7fa1-400fdcf497f6@freebsd.org> <ee6fe33b-aa24-ae5f-f652-f940e15c247a@jetcafe.org> <1498157001.2235.1.camel@gmail.com> <ffe23575-09a8-9e8c-ab21-772ca5e71aa1@jetcafe.org> <1498206372.2506.1.camel@gmail.com> <666bfe8c-f27d-2c11-2a4a-07da43bb7931@FreeBSD.org>

On 06/23/2017 01:53, Guido Falsi wrote:
> If your model works fine I'm quite sure the FreeBSD community and
> project will be quite happy to embrace it.
 > I cannot think of a better way to show there actually is no manpower
problem than creating a working example of such a workflow maintained by
just a few people with little effort, as you said repeatedly.
> On other hand demanding and/or insisting that others implement your idea
> when they clearly disagree with you is not very constructive.

The fallacy in your suggestion to "do it yourself" is that the others
who are actually working and committing on ports are far more efficient
at implementing these ideas than the rest of us.

I've never seen someone who says "do it yourself if you want it
different" actually take into account that the expertise and experience
of the people currently doing it result in a far lower manpower cost,
sometimes by orders of magnitude.

Thus, in some cases, people demand or insist because they want something
they either cannot accomplish themselves, or cannot accomplish in the
limited time they have. As far as I have observed, you can't even -pay-
the ports experts to do something you might want. If you do not have
this time or expertise, the only recourses left are: demand, insist,
request, plead, or attempt to logically convince.

As I see it, the emotions you see people expressing don't come as much
from "not having their own way" as it does from being forced to adopt
someone else's way. Looking at just that idea, the situation is not
really that much different from using Microsoft and Apple; you take what
they give you or go use something else. I think there's a general
perception that open source is not supposed to be like that so much, but
I think we all know differently here.

To be absolutely clear, I'm not demanding or insisting on anything here
out of ports maintainers or FreeBSD. I can and do support myself, when I
am able. I'm merely pointing out ideas which may not be immediately
visible to the people in this thread.
--
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

In a dream, Nasrudin saw himself being counted out
coins. When there were nine silver pieces in his hand, the
invisible donor stopped giving them.  Nasrudin shouted, "I
must have ten!" so loudly that he woke himself up.  Finding
all the money gone he closed his eyes again and said. "All
right, then, give them back. I'll take the nine."