Date:      Tue, 9 Sep 2003 08:17:40 -0600
From:      "Timms, Simon" <STimms@petro-canada.ca>
To:        'Jerry McAllister' <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>, algould@datawok.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Off-Topic:  Did I receive a virus or worm?

Jerry McAllister wrote:

>> Below the message, however, were two blocks of gibberish.  Both =
blocks
begin=20
>> with a "begin" line and end with an "end" line.  There is no =
indication
that=20
>> Kmail included an attachment in-line within the email.
>>=20
>> Is it possible that the code was needed to access the web page?  If =
so, I

>> don't understand how clicking on the web address would send or use =
the
blocks=20
>> of code.

I don't think so, I don't see any method by which these blocks of code =
could
or would be used to access a webpage.

>>=20
>> Should I worry about these blocks of code?

>Yes, you should.
>Do not trust any unsolicited code and be cautious of that=20
>which you did request.

It sounds to me like this "code" might be a pgp key or signature.  Even =
if
it is malicious code then chances are pretty good that it isn't going =
to run
on FreeBSD.  I don't think there are too many e-mail distributed =
viruses for
Unix like systems, I can't think of a single one.  If you're really =
curious
then install vm ware and run the code inside there, it should provide a =
very
secure sandbox.

Worry Factor 2 - nothing much to worry about

                         ********************

This email communication is intended as a private communication for the =
sole
use of the primary addressee and those individuals listed for copies in =
the
original message. The information contained in this email is private =
and
confidential and if you are not an intended recipient you are hereby
notified that copying, forwarding or other dissemination or =
distribution of
this communication by any means is prohibited.  If you are not =
specifically
authorized to receive this email and if you believe that you received =
it in
error please notify the original sender immediately.  We honour similar
requests relating to the privacy of email communications.

Cette communication par courrier =E9lectronique est une communication =
priv=E9e =E0
l'usage exclusif du destinataire principal ainsi que des personnes dont =
les
noms figurent en copie.  Les renseignements contenus dans ce courriel =
sont
confidentiels et si vous n'=EAtes pas le destinataire pr=E9vu, vous =
=EAtes avis=E9,
par les pr=E9sentes que toute reproduction, tout transfert ou toute =
autre
forme de diffusion de cette communication par quelque moyen que ce soit =
est
interdit.  Si vous n'=EAtes pas sp=E9cifiquement autoris=E9 =E0 =
recevoir ce courriel
ou si vous croyez l'avoir re=E7u par erreur, veuillez en aviser =
l'exp=E9diteur
original imm=E9diatement.  Nous respectons les demandes similaires qui
touchent la confidentialit=E9 des communications par courrier =
=E9lectronique.