Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2007 13:20:44 +0100
From:      "Niclas Zeising" <niclas.zeising@gmail.com>
To:        "Christian Baer" <christian.baer@informatik.uni-dortmund.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compiling mtr without GUI

On 1/13/07, Christian Baer <christian.baer@informatik.uni-dortmund.de> wrote:
> Hi there Peeps!
>
> Somehow the mtr-port is bugging me a little. I want to install mtr on a
> machine with no keyboard and no monitor and thus no X - and I'd like to
> keep it that way. Since I couldn't find a package of mtr without the
> GUI, I guess, I'm stuck with the port.
>
> I've looked at the makefile and found the variable WITHOUT_X11. However,
> a 'make -D WITHOUT_X11' and a 'make WITHOUT_X11=1' both[1] result in X.org
> being downloaded and built. Now I am no real expert on makefiles but
> AFAIK in this case it shouldn't matter, what value WITHOUT_X11 has, as
> long as it is set at all.
>
> Am I too thick to be getting the point here or have I missed something
> not all that obvious?
>
> Don't think it matters but the Plattform is SPARC64 and the Version is
> 6.1-RELEASE (no cvsup run yet).
>
> Regards
> Chris

I'm not entierly sure, but i think you have to provide -DWITHOUT_X11,
no space between D and the rest. That's how i specify make options
anyway.
AS others suggested, if you never intend to run a X11-server, setting
WITHOUT_X11=yes in make.conf is propablyu better, then you don't have
to worry at all about X being installed if there is a option not to.
HTH!
//Niclas