Date:      Thu, 11 Feb 1999 20:56:23 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        paul@originative.co.uk
Cc:        axl@iafrica.com, brian@Awfulhak.org, tr49986@rcc.on.ca, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Heads up! /etc/rc.conf.site is dead.

> > > Have another think about it. /etc/defaults does have its
> > merits but it isn't
> > > going to work well unless everyone buys into it.
> >
> > /etc/defaults is for default knobs that are turned on by
> > default and may
> > be overridden. Examples are knobs that are not turned on by
> > default. Can
> > you see why the ppp examples are not a candidate for "buy in"?
>
> I don't really agree, defaults is not for knobs that are turned on by
> default, for a start that assumes binary state which isn't the case.
> /etc/defaults will have the defaults for *all* knobs. That would include
> options that are disabled by default.
>
> Specifically with regard to ppp, having it work the same way would require
> changing ppp configuration code to parse a local file for overrides but
> there's no reason why all configuration couldn't adopt the same general
> principle of operation i.e. a defaults file that sets all configuration
> knobs into a default state and then a local override file for local changes.

I see no problem with the `default' section in ppp.conf.  It allows
the specification of defaults that can be overridden by individual
profiles.

ppp.*.sample are samples.  They are purely there to give people a
feel for what their configuration files might look like and to show
them how to achieve things that require quite a few commands - such
as playing server, doing multilink etc.

> Paul.

Besides, IMHO, /etc/defaults will either be abused by system
administrators or will be a poor-mans copy of src/etc.  I can't see
the problems going away by using something like this.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org> <brian@FreeBSD.org> <brian@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;