Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 2008 08:09:10 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@magnesium.net>
Subject:   IMAP quandry... .

	People,

	Sometime yesterday, problems with sending out mail began
	happening.  I am not sure how my IMAP passwd could have been
	altered.   But it is.

	I first saw this is using mutt from my "desktop" (tao) to my
	mailserver, (aristotle).  On to, in ~/.mutt/muttrc is:

set mbox_type=Maildir
set mask="!^\\.[^.]"
set mbox="~/Maildir"
set record="imaps://aristotle.thought.org/INBOX/.Mutt Sent Items"
set copy=yes
set postponed="imaps://aristotle.thought.org/.Drafts"
set spoolfile=imaps://aristotle.thought.org/INBOX
set folder=imaps://aristotle.thought.org
set imap_user=kline
set imap_pass=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
set use_domain=yes
set duplicate_threads=yes
set realname="Gary Kline"
set from=kline@thought.org
set signature=~/.signature
set editor="vi"

set sendmail="/usr/local/bin/nbsmtp -U kline -P XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX -d thought.org -h aristotle.thought.org -f kline@thought.org

	Last night I had troubles sending mail _out_ via mutt; because I
	can use vi I send most long messages using mutt. Then I tried kmail.
	Same deal when I tried to send.   I was able to mouse-swipe this
	dialogue:

	<QUOTE>
	Sending failed:
	Your SMTP server does not support PLAIN. Choose a different authentication method. The server responded: "5.7.0 authentication failed"
	The message will stay in the 'outbox' folder until you either fix the problem (e.g. a broken address) or remove the message from the 'outbox' folder.
	The following transport protocol was used: aristotle.thought.org
	Do you want me to continue sending the remaining messages?
	</QUOTE>

	I had/have no clue how to fix this; thus, this email to the list.
	I just tried evolutionn thaat reequested my IMAP password.  I tried
	my "XXXXXXXX" above---which was what I set it to initially when my
	friend in Dallas, TX helped me set this up in Jan.  [[ He helped me
	yesteerday to get rsync working to auto-backup web and other config
	files from aristotle to other computers.  Can't see any reason that
	anythiing-IMAP would have been touched.]]

	At any rate, *where* is the IMAP stuff stashed on aristotle?   A
	mail app called "dovecot" is installed.  Is the password stuff
	kept somewhere in plaintext?  And:: WHY do I need this level of
	security?  I would rather not have any password protection on my email...

	thanks for any help,

	gary

--
Gary Kline  Seattle BSD Users' Group (seabug)      | kline@magnesium.net
            Thought Unlimited Org's Alternate Email Site