Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 2010 22:05:47 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: well, i guess it's time to ask.....

--aM3YZ0Iwxop3KEKx

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 11:54:53AM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
>=20
> 	i am not planning on watching a movie that is on a DVD-RW but=20
> 	via [say] kmplayer via video stream.  and rather than the std
> 	'movie-length' of 120 minutes, an hour or less streamed by PBS.
>=20
> 	with my 2.4ghz Dell loaded at its usual 0.25 - 0.4, and using
> 	kmplayer or vlc, the video is jerky or hangs for several seconds.

A 2.4 GHz machine with a decent grahics card should have no problem with
displaying full screen video, if you are using the XVideo extension. For
mplayer try '-vo xv' on the mplayer command line, or put 'vo=3Dxv' in
~/.mplayer/config. For VLC choose tools->preferences, and in the dialog win=
dow
check "Accelerated video output" in the "Video" tab.

It sounds more like a network issue. (you can confirm that if you can play
files from a local disk without hiccups) Maybe increasing the buffering mig=
ht
help.=20

Roland
--=20