Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 18:38:21 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Paul Hart <hart@iserver.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disabling FTP

On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 10:13:25AM -0700, Paul Hart wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Eivind Eklund wrote:
>
> > This is why I do NOT want to leave them high and dry by having them
> > have their box rooted because YOU think it is convenient to have an
> > insecure setup which THEY will never get any benefit from.
>
> Why are we equating running ftpd with root compromise?

Due to the number of previous holes in default enabled services.  I'd
not take a bet that all services running in FreeBSD by default are
secure at less than 10:1 odds - would you?

> I would recommend turning it off if you have no need for it, but I
> don't see how having it enabled necessarily means you're going to be
> rooted.

It doesn't necessarily mean that - but it means a strongly increased
chance of the above scenario, and it includes cases that could easily
have been avoided by us being cautious.

Eivind.