Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 1996 10:55:53 -0700 (MST)
From:      Barnacle Wes <wes@intele.net>
To:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: questions-digest V1 #378

Jonathan M. Bresler <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG> asked:
% how do i set up a the routers and routes so that i can have two internet
% connections supporting a single organization.   when one isp fails (far
% too often these days what with mci and alternet and sprint and.....) i want
% the other line to carry all the traffic.  our service is a full T-1 on
% one line and metered T-1 on the other, therefore traffic load balancing
% is NOT desireable.  [...]

Alexei Nikolaevich Romanov <alexei@loach.org> answered, in part:
> I am not believing this can be accomplished without peering with providers
> at Network Access Points like MAE East, or CIX;  [...]

I believe you might be able to solve this problem at your local
network if you use ONE ROUTER for both interfaces.  If the router
supports a 'fail-over' route, you might be able to get it to select
the second ISP as long as the first one is not responding.

This might be an opportunity for some innovative coding in FreeBSD
also; write a daemon process that can monitor two external connections
and provide the same facility by diddling with the default route.
It should be pretty simple to accomplish; the implementation is
left as an exercise for the reader.  (I love saying that!  ;^)

--
   Wes Peters	| Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late
    Softweyr 	| The cannons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder