Date:      Sat, 23 Mar 1996 20:15:31 +0100
From:      Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@masternet.it>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   The long is the way to arrive at stable :-)

I had installed FreeBsd 2.1.o retail from a walnut creek cdrom , with
the novice installation and choosing X-developer subset.

Everything worked really nice but for the taste of experiment (and
because if everything works there is no fun :-) I decide to install the
2.1.0 stable.

So I downloads all the files from :

src-2_1_0015C.gz to src-2_1_0059.gz

then I applied them with ctm and everything works nice. Good :-)

Shutdown'ed to single user mode, mount -a, added all the path, changed
the shell etc etc

Then I went to /usr/src and did the feared :

/usr/src#make world

Computer began to compile a lot of things until it arrived at this point
:

---cut ---

-> libdisk

installing libdisk.h

install -c -o bin -g bin -m444 libdisk.a /usr/lib

ranlib -t usr/lib/libdisk.a

(cd /usr/src/lib/libdisk; install -c -o bin -m444 libdisk.3
/usr/share/man/man3)

compressing in /usr/share/man/man3 : libdisk.3 -> libdisk.3.gz

/usr/share/man/man3/libdisk.3.gz -> /usr/share/man/man3/libdisk.3.gz

ln:/usr/share/man/man3/libdisk.3.gz : no such file or directory

------------

And it exited with a fatal error...

<Aaargh !>

I was thinking it lacked some source tree, so I deleted all the /usr/src
and copied it from the /cdrom/usr/src (2nd disk)

applied the ctm files again.... everything ok but the same error after
make world!

1) Where I wrong ? Perhaps I need to install a full distribution (the
one of about 700mb) to upgrade the current to stable ?

2) It seems to me that error was caused by a man file... if everything
else work can I try to remove this pass ?

3) I have the possibility of a dedicated line  , is there something else
I can try to upgrade to stable ? I took the entire ctm dir last night
(with *A.gz too) can I use it and how ?

4) In my handbook there is no reference to stay with the stable but only
with the current is there around a newer file ?

I am sorry if I did some faqs. If so let me know... I promise I have
studied the handbook, the faq, Running FreeBSD 2.1 (by G.Lehey) and
src-2.1-ctm-readme too... :-)

Please help me ... sms !

--

Regards...